Tuesday 10 May 2016

PROMMERSIVE IN BRIGHTON 1 - I'll tell you when I'm participating!

I'LL TELL YOU WHEN I'M PARTICIPATING !

Saw a perfectly nice piece of theatry-art this morning. Headphones, ponchos, hand stamp (number 1139) an hour long potter along the beach under the pretext that I and my partner (number 1138)  were visitors returning to earth sometime in the future to look at the remains of a holiday resort. I enjoyed it. Quite a lot of care had been taken making a binaural soundscape and burying bits and pieces in the pebbles.
                                                 Number 1139.

I had a nice time. Until I sat down afterwards and read the programme.

"AOD have developed a method of working that links choreography, sound and fine art to create a visual aesthetic that encourages interactive responses and all participants to become the active co-designers of their own exploration"

OK I missed the choreography - although maybe that was when we were asked to lie down, but there was no way I was an active co-designer. I followed instructions. I moved quickly when asked so that I wouldn't lose the thread. The idea suggested in the notes that "people are free to remove their headsets to talk" - suggesting freedom or disobedience is technically true but if you don't want to get left behind (or if you want to remain connected to the narrative) it is not possible.

"The pleasure of making participatory work is the exchange between imaginations: what we as artists create and what the participants then bring to that and share with each other." Sorry - there was no opportunity for me to share my imaginings with the artists - this was one way traffic. Yes our imagination is provoked by the props and instructions but we do not share with "each other".

This is sloppy thinking. This is gobbledygook arts-speak and as someone who make participatory, to an extent co-created participatory work - can I say this is not co-designed, and it's not really participatory work. Call the Art Police !

                                       Number 1138

No comments:

Post a Comment